Sigh !, gasped all the Xperia X10, mini and mini pro users when Sony Ericsson started to roll out Android 2.1 a.k.a Eclair. But its not over yet, currently rolled out only to nordic region (when this blog was posted). I had to debrand my Xperia X10i to lay my hands on Eclair!(I am from India), Thanks to XDA. Though Eclair is outdated by months now, I have to say it is impressive =) . I have to admit Eclair being impressive doesnt reduce our desire to have Froyo(I dont think this will ever materialize 😦 ) . Following are my thoughts after using Xperia X10 for a day.
1. Unlock screen: is very snappy, far better than the curved unlock before. This unlock screen is very responsive. You can put phone on silent right from the unlock screen, though an option to put phone to vibrate from unlock screen would have been handy. Now we need to unlock the phone and then we can put phone to vibrate mode.
2. Home Screen and widgets : Again, nothing great, but very handy. How often I had thought it would be better to have more than 3 home screens of the stock(without any launcher). Also Recent calls and status switch widgets are nice. Notifications tab is slightly thicker which is nice.
3. Timescape and Mediascape : Sony Ericsson has been very stubborn in pushing these signature apps even after hearing cries from users that not many use it regularly. In Eclair although there are some improvements in responsiveness in both apps, they are incomplete and there are zillions of apps out there that does job better. Timescape has text scrolling now, so you need not click on the card on the spline to get full text.
Yes SE (Sony Ericsson) needs them as differentiating factor but these are bullshit apps for following reasons :
- There are apps that do better jobs than this
- The functionality and experience they offer is not complete. Eg: You cannot reply for message or tweet, cannot post comment to facebook without leaving timescape.
- You cannot create playlist in Mediascape. Also you need minimum two clicks to play a song.
- Lack of widget in Mediascape and also both apps are CPU hogs (affects battery life and responsiveness)
4. 720p HD with continuous Auto focus : Really awesome, I’m not sure how many other phones have continuous auto focus, this is great improvement from the last iteration(donut). The pictures and video are very clear and better in Eclair. Still no flash (not adobe )support, though it is useless to have LED flash.
5. New Apps: Being Eclair opens up the market a bit more as few apps require Android 2.0 and above.
Apps to check out would be Angry bird, Official Twitter app, Fennec(Mozilla), Vlingo to name a few.
6. Keyboard : Good keyboard, doesn’t hang as Donut versions’ one. Difficult for people who use smiley as they need to navigate to other set of keys. Correction feature is good, slightly similar to iPhone.I would like if SE puts swype as default keyboard?
7. Battery Life : I haven’t got chance to actually do a quantitative comparison with Donut as I am busy installing , testing new features of Eclair. Having said that I have to stress that if there is 30% improvement in battery life as SE claims, it would be great.